- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp ginger
- ¾ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ½ cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp almond extract (optional)
- 2 cups rolled oats
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- ½ cup dried raisins
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- ½ cup slivered almonds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Using a wooden spoon, mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices in a large bowl. Set aside.
- With an electric mixer on medium speed, mix together the butter (or oil) and sugars. Add the eggs and vanilla (and almond extract if using). Mix until combined.
- Add the flour mixture gradually. Mix until combined.
- Add the oats, dried fruit, and nuts. Mix by hand using a wooden spoon.
- Place dough by tablespoons onto cookie sheets, about an inch apart. (For quicker clean up, line the cookie sheets with foil).
- Bake for 15-18 minutes.
Experiment with different dried fruits and nuts to lend different textures and flavors.
The vegetable oil can be replaced with 1 cup butter or coconut oil.
Whole grain flour & oats: fiber, B vitamins, magnesium, folate
Dried fruit: potassium, phosphorus, magnesium, copper, B vitamins
Nuts: fiber, unsaturated fat, magnesium, vitamin E, copper, phosphorus, zinc, B vitamins