- 1 (15 oz) can chickpeas, drained and washed
- 1/4 cup honey or maple syrup
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp coconut extract
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil (melted)
- ½ to 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Combine the oats, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt in a food processer. Blend until the oats are finely processed (they should appear like flour).
- Add the chickpeas, honey or maple syrup, vanilla and coconut extracts, and coconut oil. Blend for about 30 seconds. Scrape the sides of the container with a rubber spatula.
- Continue to blend the ingredients at 30-second intervals until the mixture is smooth. Scrape the sides of the container after each 30-second interval to assure the ingredients are well incorporated.
- Transfer the mixture to a medium mixing bowl. Add the chocolate chips and stir with a wooden spoon.
- Grease a 9-inch pie pan with cooking spray. Transfer the mixture to the pie pan. Using a rubber spatula, spread and pat the mixture until it is evenly distributed in the pie pan.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until golden brown and the edges are slightly cracked.
- Allow the pie to cool. Cut into 1”x1” or 2”x2” squares. Store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- Be sure to measure the coconut oil in its melted, liquid form. Heat in the microwave at 15-second intervals until liquid texture is achieved.
- If you don’t have coconut oil on hand, it’s fine to use another vegetable oil. Canola oil is probably your best bet, as it doesn’t have a distinctive flavor (like olive oil).
- If you don’t want a strong coconut flavor, omit the coconut extract and use 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract.
- You can also use ½ cup of almond flour in place of the oats. It lends a slightly sweeter taste.
- To make individual cookies: Drop the dough by tablespoons onto a greased cookie sheet. Lightly press the dough with the bottom of a drinking glass (the cookies do not spread when baked). Bake at 350° F for 18-20 minutes, until golden brown around the edges.
- Chickpeas: fiber (prebiotics!), folate, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, zinc, protein
- Rolled oats: fiber (prebiotics!), copper, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, selenium, zinc, thiamin