- 1.5 cups black beans (one 15-oz can)
- 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal
- 1/3 cup water
- 2/3 cup rolled or quick oats (not steel cut)
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ to 1 teaspoon hot sauce (adjust based on your preference)
- 1/3 cup diced onion
- 1/3 cup diced red bell pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375° F. Line a baking sheet with foil and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Combine the flaxseed meal and water in a small bowl, and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Peel and dice the onion. Wash, core, and dice the red bell pepper. Place in a microwave safe bowl and microwave on high for 1 minute to soften. Set aside.
- Place the black beans, oats, taco seasoning, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, and flaxseed/water mixture in a blender or food processer. Blend on high for one minute. Use a rubber spatula to scrape the sides and mix, then continue to blend at 30-second intervals until smooth. Some whole beans and oats should remain intact (this lends a nice texture). However, if you prefer a smoother burger, continue to process until very few whole beans remain.
- Transfer to a mixing bowl and add the onion and red pepper. Mix with a fork until the ingredients are well incorporated.
- Using a ¼ measuring cup, scoop out the black bean mixture and place onto the baking sheet. Pat down each patty with a spoon until it is about 3 inches in diameter.
- Place in the oven and bake for 10 minutes. Use a spatula to flip the burgers, then return to the oven and bake for another 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool for about 5 minutes before serving.
Onion: phosphorus, magnesium, copper, vitamin C, vitamin B6, folate, thiamin, fiber
Bell pepper: vitamin C, vitamin B6, copper, vitamin K, thiamin, fiber
Beans: potassium, copper, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, zinc, vitamin B6, vitamin E, folate, thiamin, choline, fiber, protein
Oats: fiber, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, zinc, thiamin, riboflavin, copper