Short on time, but still hoping to cook a nutritious meal? Frozen vegetables are a great solution! They contain all of the same beneficial vitamins, minerals, and fiber as fresh vegetables, making them just as nutritious. Since they are pre-washed and chopped, they have the added benefit of a decreased prep time.
When selecting frozen vegetables, be sure to check the food label for added sodium, sugar, or fat. The ingredients list should contain only the vegetables!
Frozen vegetables can be prepared in the same ways as fresh: roasted, stir-fried, steamed, or added to soups or stews. Try them out for yourself with this quick & easy Veggie Fajita Bowl recipe! A cast-iron skillet is not required but highly recommended. 😉
Veggie Fajita Bowls
Number of Servings: 4 Prep & cook time: 25-30 minutes
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 12-oz package frozen riced cauliflower (no added sodium)
- 1 14-oz package frozen peppers & onions (no added sodium)
- 1 ½ cups sliced baby bella mushrooms
- 3/4 cup roasted & salted cashews
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (about 1 ½ teaspoons)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ? teaspoon cayenne pepper (more if you like spicy!)
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons dried cilantro
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- Heat 1 teaspoon of the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the cauliflower rice and cover. Sauté for about 10 minutes, stirring often, until the rice is cooked through and begins to brown.
- While the cauliflower rice cooks, place the mushrooms in a colander and wash under running water. Set aside.
- Once the cauliflower rice has become fragrant and a light brown color, add the frozen peppers & onions, mushrooms, cashews, and garlic. Pour the remaining olive oil and apple cider vinegar over the mixture. Sprinkle with the spices and herbs (aside from the cilantro and lime juice). Stir to combine.
- Cook for about 8-10 minutes or until the vegetables have softened. Sprinkle with the lime juice and garnish with cilantro.
- Serve warm with desired toppings, such as cheese or salsa.